Friday, April 27, 2012

Zebra wallet...from a bandanna!

My daughter bought a pink and zebra print purse and wanted a wallet to match. I went through my stash and surprise, surprise, I did not have any zebra print fabric. I think I have every other print but that one. Then I remembered-a few months ago I bought a zebra print bandanna for my oldest daughter and she never even touched it. Perfect! I took the bandanna and a solid pink fat quarter, added some craft fuse interfacing, a snap instead of velcro, a zipper and a pattern, and ended up with this (shown here with the purse):

The pattern is called the Whimsy Wallet from This & That Patterns and I'll admit-it was just ok to make. I don't know if I would make it again or maybe I'd do a few things differently. Here is another picture that shows the wallet more close-up (those are my flowerpots in the background-the red one with the white dots looks like a giant mug and I LOVE it. I got it from Joann's.):

And the inside with the gift card pockets (she has no credit cards, of course) and the zipper pocket.
She is thrilled with it.

Monday, April 23, 2012

More progress on that baby quilt

Here is the baby quilt update with the sashing and borders on. I took this with my phone so the quality is so-so. It also looks kind of funky because you can see through it and it makes it look like this is the wrong side, but I swear-it isn't.


Sunday, April 22, 2012

Baby boy quilt in progress

I found out recently that my daughter's speech therapist is expecting so I decided it would be a good opportunity to make something. So I found out she's having a boy, searched my stash, and wouldn't you know-everything I own is girly. Well almost everything. In the interest of saving time (her last speech session before her ST quits for the year is mid-May) I got a Riley Blake stacker (like a Moda layer cake) and some yardage, found a couple of moda bake shop tutorials I liked, which I will link at the end of this post, and modified them to fit what I wanted. So here it is so far-I laid it out on the floor to figure out how to arrange the blocks and took a picture with my phone. This is before adding sashing and borders and before rotating some blocks. I accidentally put 3 blocks with the same print in the top row. UGH. Oh well, too late since I noticed it after sewing that row together. and those tutorials (shift-click to open them in a new window)
Building Blocks Baby Quilt
Boxed In Quilt

I will post more pics as I get more done. I have the top all sewed. Just need to sandwich it and quilt it. The two things that are the biggest pain for me.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...