Sunday, October 27, 2013

Vintage pyrex

I still can't make anything. I have no usable craft room right now, and everything is a mess. But I'm working on other non-crafty things. This week I used contact paper on the inside of this shelf unit, which my husband and I varnished a few weeks ago. I originally wanted to paint it but that's a big commitment on a solid oak cabinet, and I could tell hubby did not like the idea. So I covered the entire inside of it, including the shelves, with white contact paper. Not bad, eh?



I love vintage pyrex and jadeite. I can't afford a lot of jadeite-it's pretty expensive-so I have mostly pyrex and a little bit of other vintage stuff in here. I love the way the white sets off the colors of the dishes.





My mom gave me the egg cups on the top shelf. They were packed away for years before I found them and discovered how cute they are and how perfect they go with the rest of the dishes. I don't know how old they are, but I think they're pretty old. We had them when we were kids and I'm pretty old.


On the bottom shelf are some glasbake promo mugs I found at a shop. I think they were a pretty good find-I paid $6 for the three mugs and I've seen single ones go for over $10 on ebay and etsy. When I bought them I only knew that I liked them. I didn't have any idea what they were so I looked them up when I got home. I'd love to have the complete collection but I'm not paying ten bucks a mug.


Now I need to find room for all of my blue ball jars.

If you have or know about any blogs or blog posts that feature vintage glass, please share them in the comments. I'd love to take a look.

***linking to: Lil\'Luna
The 36th Avenue

Tuesday, October 8, 2013

retro kitchen stool makeover




I bought this old stool at an antique shop and my husband and I fixed it up. This model was not originally made with padding on the seat or seat back. The last owners apparently decided to put some on it, so they made wooden forms to staple the fabric to. When we took the fabric and padding off, it wasn't in terrible shape but since the wood was firmly attached I decided to recover it rather than trying to take all of the wood off. I sanded it down (when I bought it, it was painted with brush-on paint of some kind and it was very drippy) and then my husband spray painted it. Then I used some vinyl covered fabric to recover it. I'm really happy with how it turned out and it's the perfect height for our new kitchen island.

before:








and after:











****linking to: The 36th Avenue
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...