Thursday, August 1, 2013

DIY wooden planter

My first 'real' wood project! I found plans on for this planter and thought it would look nice on our new front porch. Mine is a little different, because when I printed out the materials list I didn't have the part that said to cut the legs longer if you use 1 x 6 wood. I used 1 x 6 wood so my legs were a bit short. I still like it though. I used my Silhouette SD to cut out the W from some vinyl. After I finished building the planter, I stuck the vinyl letter on and painted the blue over it. After I finished the last coat of blue, I removed the letter. I let it dry and then stained over the whole thing. I'm not 100% happy with how the stain looks over the paint, so if I do a project like this again, I will stain first, then put on the stencil, then paint over it. That way there's no staining on the painted surface. Even so, I think it turned out nice and am hoping to fill it with some kind of plants soon. It's not on the porch here because our new porch hasn't been built yet. That will be next month (if you want to check out our modular house journey click here). Daisy was kind of enough to pretty up this picture for me since I had no plants or flowers in the planter. She had trouble sitting still long enough for me to take the picture though!

pine wood
finials from Lowe's
paint: glidden
stain: minwax
clear finish: rustoleum water based spar varnish in satin
font: Samantha upright
vinyl: oracal 631
dog: Daisy

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...