Thursday, April 15, 2010

Hidden Stars-finally

Here is the quilt I showed a sneak peek of a couple weeks ago. I actually got it done right after I posted the sneak peek but I was waiting to wash it until I got it labeled. It took me a while to figure out how I wanted to label it, then I discovered that my old pigma pens were all dried up. So then it took me a few days to go buy a new pen. Then I decided I should wash it first, then label it, so that any writing would be able to set for a while before going through a wash. So I finally washed it today and here it is. It's about 50" x 63".

In the first pic it's hanging kinda wonky but it actually came out square. In order to take the pic I hung it over my curtain rod (with some of those bib clips-I knew those things would come in handy again someday) and it's not hanging perfect so it looks a bit out of shape. The 2nd pic is just a close-up. I quilted this one about 1/4" inside the four-square blocks and cornerstones, then went diagonally through each square of the four-square blocks and down the center of the sashing squares. I only do straight line quilting at this time and not in the ditch either, because I can't seem to stay in it right.

This quilt is called hidden stars because the stars just appear as a result of the sashing design. I did that with the method where you put a square on the corner of the rectangle and stitch down the diagonal center, then trim. It was super easy because I used my Angler tool so I didn't have to mark any of the diagonal lines. I don't do triangles if I can avoid it so this is the perfect way for me to make a star quilt. The fabric (other than the white) is from a set of fat quarters I got from Joann's a while back. I bought it because I liked the tin that it came in. :) I also did a scrappy binding on this and while I love the look, it was a pain in the butt to do. So at the time I told myself I would never do that again but when I look at it, I like it a lot, so I will probably put myself through the torture again. The pattern is from a book called Layer Cake, Jelly Roll and Charm Quilts (this fabric was not any of the above but I faked it).


9 comments:

Cris A said...

This turned out fantastic! I can imagine what a pain in the but the binding must have been, but well worth the trouble! I might have to try that on my pinwheel quilt!

jimlynn said...

Oh my goodness.........I'm in love!!!! This is just gorgeous. You are so very talented!

Naomi said...

No idea what all the sewing terminology means, but this is a gorgeous quilt! I LOVE the trim/binding...ugh, the outside part. That does look hard! This is GREAT! I am getting ready to sew my first Rag Bag/Quilt Purse...wish me luck. The Big Shot will do the cutting...LOL!

CathyRose said...

Wow, the quilt looks like a family heirloom. Wonderful work on this, Gale!

Traci said...

WOW! This turned out marvelous! I love the colors you used and that is such a great pattern!

Deb S. said...

Wow! This is stunning! I love those colors and the surprise stars are awesome! Looks like you purposely quilted them on!

Jenn Embry said...

Simply gorgeous! I love love love it!

jillquilts said...

It looks great!!! Love the colors!!

The Mama Monkey said...

Oh, this is beautiful!! Amazing Gale!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...