I have this little metal cabinet thing (yard sale special) that I keep my yardage in. Over the years I've crammed a lot of fabric in it and have not done a bit of organizing. Until now. Warning-the before pictures are graphic. There's some overlap in the before pics too so I don't have quite as much fabric as it appears. That's my story, anyway.
I took out some of the fabric that I don't think I'll use along with 3 fat quarter sets that I decided on for projects. I put the project fabric in zipper bags with the pattern and hopefully will get to those soon. I also added some fabric that wasn't in the before pics that I got recently, thanks to my sister. The top shelf holds my completed tops plus layer cakes and a few fat quarter bundles. The middle shelves are all just yardage from various companies. On the right all my pre washed stuff and on the left, my unwashed. The bottom holds some yardage that was too long for the bolts, some yardage that goes with layer cakes or jelly rolls in my stash, plus some of my batting. Plus a few bolts of fabric that I couldn't decide whether to keep or not. So here are the after pics:
This blog shows the basic method I used but I didn't wrap the fabric all the way around the boards. I just folded it selvage to selvage, folded again from fold to selvages, and then wrapped like a regular bolt. I had no trouble putting up to 3 yards on a bolt but more than that would have been too much. The comic book boards are actually sturdier than I thought they'd be.
Next month I'll try to post my fat quarter storage. I have a little in this cabinet, mainly ones I bought in sets, but I have a LOT more than this. This cabinet also doesn't include any of my apparel fabric. I haven't sewn clothes in years but I might again someday.